Spousal Support

What Is a Gavron Warning?

The “Gavron warning” is a legal concept relating to spousal support (“alimony”) that originated in California family law. Read on to learn more about what a Gavron warning is and the potential impact it may have on your family law case. How Alimony Works Spousal support attempts to confront the fact that divorcing spouses do… read more

Can You Modify or Terminate Permanent Alimony in Georgia?

Alimony is a court-ordered payment from one person to another, either in a lump sum or periodic payments. Both the giver and the recipient are either in divorce proceedings (temporary alimony) or are already divorced (permanent alimony). The purpose of alimony is for the richer spouse to provide for the financial needs of the poorer… read more

How Long Do You Have To Be Married To Get Alimony in Georgia?

Some states base alimony on the duration of the marriage. However, there is no minimum mandatory time that you have to be married to get alimony in Georgia. In other words, Georgia does not have a standard formula to determine whether you receive spousal support in a divorce action.  The general rule of thumb is… read more

What Is Palimony?

Palimony is a non-legal term used to describe court-ordered financial support paid to a party by the other party of a non-marital relationship. Because the parties are not married and are not going through a divorce action, the payment is not referred to as alimony or spousal support. Instead, the payments are referred to as… read more

What Happens if I Don’t Pay Alimony in Gwinnett County, GA?

When parties divorce in Gwinnett County, Georgia, the court may have included an order that one party pays the other alimony or spousal support. If that is the case, then the party ordered to pay alimony must make the payments as detailed in the court order. Failure to make the payments required by the order… read more

What’s the Difference Between Alimony vs. Spousal Support?

Alimony is the same thing as spousal support. Under Georgia law, alimony and spousal support refer to a payment from one party to another while living separately. These payments can occur after a divorce between ex-spouses. They can also occur between spouses during a separation, an abandonment, or a pending divorce. In other words, you… read more