Lawrenceville Move-Away Lawyer

Lawrenceville Move-Away Lawyer

Do you or your child’s other parent wish to relocate because of personal or professional reasons in Lawrenceville, GA? Your child custody arrangement can quickly become a problem. An experienced Lawrenceville move-away lawyer at Crystal Wright Law can help you and your former partner navigate the complex legal issues of relocation.

Our lawyers have years of experience serving clients with sensitive child custody cases. We know just how stressful family law issues can become without an experienced attorney in your corner.

Are you ready to learn more? Call our law offices in Lawrenceville, Georgia at (404) 594-2143, to schedule a free consultation today.

How Crystal Wright Law Can Help With a Move-Away Case in Lawrenceville, GA

How Crystal Wright Law Can Help With a Move-Away Case in Lawrenceville, GA

A parent’s decision to move away with a child will impact everyone involved in the child’s life. If you’re wondering whether you can move away with your children or whether you can prevent your child from moving away, our divorce lawyers at Crystal Wright Law are here to help.

Our Lawrenceville child custody lawyers have years of experience handling complex child custody matters in Georgia. We know the stakes are high–and we’re here to offer the quality legal representation you deserve.

When you hire us, you can expect our managing attorneys to:

  • Gather the evidence you need to support your position
  • Provide sound and compassionate legal guidance at all stages of the process
  • Work to help you and your child’s parent reach an amicable agreement if possible
  • Help with property division
  • Advocate for your rights in court if necessary 

It’s important to know how the state of Georgia handles these situations. An experienced Lawrenceville child custody attorney can make a world of difference. Call for a free onsultation today to learn more about our skills and experience.

Overview of Child Relocation Laws in Georgia

Georgia courts realize that child custody and child support arrangements shouldn’t be set in stone. Sometimes, things happen so that modifying an existing agreement makes sense for both parents and children.

Some requests to relocate won’t significantly disrupt the child’s life. The parents may need to modify parenting time, parenting plans, and shared custody arrangements in other cases.

If the parents are able to agree, that makes things simpler. It can save significant time, money, and energy. However, if the parents are unable to agree, the courts will step in and decide. Under Georgia law, judges decide child custody matters based on the best interests of the child. They won’t automatically grant a request to move away even if the request comes from the custodial parent.

At Crystal Wright Law, our family law attorneys in Lawrenceville are skilled mediators. If you’re handling a request to relocate–or wish to relocate yourself–our team can help you and your child’s other parent come to an amicable agreement. If you’re unable to agree, we’re prepared to advocate for your rights in court.

Call our law firm in Lawrenceville today to learn more about establishing an attorney-client relationship.

When Can I Request a Custody Modification to Move-Away From Lawrenceville?

Most of the time, Georgia courts will only consider modifications to an existing order on parenting time or visitation once in each two-year period following entry of a final judgment. 

However, parents can petition to have a custody order modified based on significant changes in family circumstances. A request to relocate would be considered a significant change in family circumstances. That doesn’t mean that the judge will automatically grant the moving parent’s request.

How Long Do I Have to Provide Notice of the Request to Relocate With Children?

Either a custodial or non-custodial parent may petition the court to relocate with children.

Typically, a parent who wishes to move away with children must provide written notice to any party who has been granted parenting time or visitation rights at least 30 days prior to the move. That notice must provide the proposed change of address.

Can I Contest My Child’s Other Parent’s Attempt to Move Away With My Child in Lawrenceville, GA?

Yes, you can contest another party’s request to move away with your children. The custodial parent must convince the judge that a move is in the best interests of the children. Even after an uncontested divorce, these cases are contested by a non-custodial parent.

The non-moving parent has two options after receiving notice of the other parent’s request to move away:

  • Consent to the move and file an agreement to modify the custody arrangement with the court
  • Oppose the move and petition the court for a child custody modification hearing

Parents who wish to move away must be prepared to convince a judge that they have a legitimate reason for the move. Ultimately, whether the court grants a parent’s request to relocate with children will depend on whether the move is in the child’s best interests.

Have you recently received notice that your child’s other parent wishes to move away with your children? Do you need help preparing this notice? Call an experienced Lawrenceville move-away attorney at Crystal Wright Law today. Our divorce attorneys can help you understand your legal rights and provide the guidance you need during this challenging time.

What Factors Are Relevant in My Lawrenceville Move-Away Case?

Often, parents will be able to reach an agreement where one parent grants the other permission to move away. If that’s not possible, the courts will step in and decide whether to grant the request to move away.

As with the initial child custody arrangement, the judge will consider a variety of factors when determining whether to grant a parent’s request to relocate with children.

Some examples of the factors that may be relevant include:

  • The relocating parent’s reasons for the move
  • How the move would impact the child’s relationship with the non-custodial parent
  • The relationship between the two parents and whether it is amicable
  • The relationships between the children and parents
  • The impact of the move on the child’s education, relationships with friends, and relationships with other family members
  • How the parents have addressed the issue of relocation in a parenting plan
  • Opportunities for the child in the new location
  • Whether the move will raise the child’s standard of living
  • Any issues involving domestic violence, drug or alcohol abuse
  • The child’s stability in their current living situation

Typically, courts will be more likely to grant a request to relocate with children if the relocating parent has a genuine reason for the move. For example, a request to relocate for a job opportunity is more likely to be granted than a relocation request based on personal preference.

Under Georgia child custody laws, if the child is at least 14 years old, the child will be able to decide whether to relocate with the custodial parent. A child who has reached age 14 can sign an affidavit to remain with the non-custodial parent or relocate with a custodial parent.

If the child is at least 11 years old, they can also request to live with a certain parent. However, the judge won’t automatically grant this request. Instead, the judge will carefully review the circumstances to determine whether the move is in the child’s best interests.

Can I Relocate With My Child to Another State?

There are many different reasons why one parent would wish to relocate to another state after a divorce. Sometimes, the parent wants to get a fresh start, live closer to family, or pursue a job opportunity.

The Uniform Child-Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act requires state courts to enforce child custody and parenting time determinations made by courts in other states.

Either parent may request to relocate with a child to another state. Still, the relocating parent must follow procedures established under Georgia law–and the judge will consider the distance between the parent’s current location and proposed location in deciding whether to grant the request.

What Can I Do If My Child’s Parent Moves Without Permission?

Moving away without court permission could violate an existing child custody agreement. If your child’s parent moves without permission, the court can do a number of things, such as:

  • Ordering a change in the existing custody agreement
  • Granting you physical custody rights
  • Holding the other parent in contempt of court
  • Awarding attorneys’ fees and court costs

Do you need help enforcing your existing child custody agreement or filing for divorce in Georgia? Call our Lawrenceville family law attorneys at Crystal Wright Law for a case evaluation today. We’ll do everything possible to help protect your rights.

Contact a Lawrenceville Move-Away Lawyer for a Free Consultation

If you or your child’s other parent wish to relocate, it’s important to consult an experienced attorney early in the process. At Crystal Wright Law, we offer a free consultation so that you can get the legal advice you need and deserve. 

Call to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Lawrenceville move-away lawyer today to learn more about your legal rights and options. Our lawyers help clients with the divorce process in Lawrenceville, Cobb County, Dekalb County, Gwinnett County, Stone Mountain, and Fulton County.

Visit Our Divorce & Family Law Office in Lawrenceville, GA

Crystal Wright Law
440 S. Perry Street Suite 105, Lawrenceville, GA 30046
(404) 594-2143

Ride there with Uber

Our family law firm in Lawrenceville, GA also provides: